STEP 5: GET OUT OF HARM'S WAY
YOUR DAILY ROUTINE
1. Limit your group's exposure to backcountry dangers and dangerous terrain.
2. Discuss the consequence of traveling on a slope before committing, avoid terrain traps.
3. Place only one person on a suspect slope at a time.
- Don't help a buddy find a lost ski or get unstuck in hazardous terrain
- Cross or ride suspect slopes one at a time
4. Stay in contact with one another.
5. Don't stop in an area exposed to avalanche hazard.
6. Don't enter a closed area or any place undergoing control work.
7. Minimize your impacts on others – be aware of:
- Groups above you
- Groups below you
- Roads & buildings below you
- Control work nearby
8. Never intentionally trigger an avalanche unless you are sure the area below is clear.